Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Magic

The other day my friend JM told me about Ocarina and I downloaded it to my iPhone. Now I'm sitting and listening to people in Hawaii playing Christmas carols. A little while ago I listened to LonelyOne experimenting in New York somewhere. And Whyn in Hawaii is playing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow".

I've been a believer in online community for a long time. Meeting people and making new friends from all over the world is one of the most rewarding aspects of my job at Linden Lab. But I'm astounded at the magic of hearing a melody being played in Indonesia and imagining that person sending their little tune around the world to me.

3 comments:

Grace McDunnough™ said...

Ocarina is my favorite iPhone app. I am practicing to play it live in SL but I'm still rather pathetic. How cool would it be to get the Ocarina community to do a live performance?

Robin Harper said...

Now that's a fabulous idea. Do you know an Ocarina orchestra conductor?

DB said...

Smule's other app "Zephyr" is very interesting too. It generates tunes based on how you draw messages in snowflakes / stars. Then sends them ( seemingly randomly ) to other users around the planet. You can also switch it to recieve mode and see what everyone else is making. :)