I was heartened to see that I'm not the only one who feels this way; that members of the Mormon Church also recognize the role their church leaders played in passing a ballot proposition that so blatently denies same sex couples the opportunity to build a family.
This comment was posted in response to Judith Warner's latest blog entry.
I am so sorry that so many people in California (and elsewhere) believed the lies and distortions paid for and distributed by the people and organizations pushing for Prop 8’s passage. I was heartsick to find the names of friends and relatives on the Mormon “big donor” list. The “No on 8″ campaign seemed completely blindsided by the influx of money from outside California. Now there are demonstrations, now there is energy, but too late.
Throughout this entire sorry spectacle, I still have not heard one cogent, logical, sensible argument about how gay marriage would hurt my marriage or anyone else’s marriage.
The courts will have to overturn Prop 8 on the grounds that it violates gays’ fundamental rights. Overturning it will enrage the pro-Prop 8 groups, who will mount yet another costly campaign. For Prop 8 alone, the latest figures only with respect to Mormon participation show that 59,000 families donated some $77 million — the lion’s share. Now Mormons are unhappy that their chapels and temples are protest sites. They expected that the targets of their Salt Lake leaders’ policies would quietly accept having their rights taken away?
As a final thought, directed to my Mormon family and friends: the LDS church’s 13th Article of Faith states, “We believe in being honest, true, … benevolent, and in doing good to all men….” How is printing, disseminating, emailing, and telephoning messages filled with fear-based untruths and distortions being “honest and true”? How is taking away other people’s rights being “benevolent and … doing good to all men”?
Unfortunately, as I know all too well from my own several decades of devoted participation, Mormons place obedience to their leaders over listening to their own hearts and consciences, and over thinking for themselves. And as with civil rights for blacks, and the ERA for women, the Mormon church once again finds itself on the wrong side of history and morality.
— mofembot in France
No comments:
Post a Comment