Anthony LaFauce is worrying that all the ideas and thoughts expressed in millions of blog posts and tweets will be lost to the future because of the impermanence of digital media. An interesting idea, although I believe those ideas worth saving are generally saved in a variety of ways, many much more permanent than a tweet.
And yesterday I listened to a podcast where the question was whether personal virtue can make a difference in global warming. One theory says no; the earth will go on regardless of our efforts, and possibly without us, and new life will come about to replace us and those species we take down with us. The natural order of things. I have a feeling this is true, although I suspect if everyone were to agree the result could be a hopeless sort of thinking that there's no point in trying.
The interesting thing about both these existential questions is the self-centered nature of them. What if my ideas disappear? What if my society/my culture/my species disappears? I tend to think the more relevant concern and far more difficult behavior is learning to make the best unselfish choices you can, day to day, moment to moment.
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment